Hi, I'm Samurai and I study Karate and love to watch tv and read books.

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Meal Plans

College meal plans are quite expensive. If you calculate how much each meal costs, it will cost $7-8 a meal. Sure, at your standard restaurant, that's the lower end cost of entrées, but it's not realistic to eat out at a restaurant at every meal for a college student. Depending on the school, $5,000-6,000 is the cost of their premium gold meal plans. That means that 19 (or more depending on the school) meals will be served a week.

But the problem with this usually mandatory plan is that it's not cost efficient for the student. Nor is it a profit maker for the school, surprisingly. I would have thought that they would make more money with those unused points and uneaten meals.

If I were to take the money that the average student had to pay for a week's worth of cafeteria food and spend it elsewhere, here's how I'd spend it:

  • One three course meal at a upper scale restaurant
  • Two bars of dark chocolate (Dark chocolate is wonderful.)
  • Seven boxes of pasta
  • One jar of pesto sauce
  • Three bags of bagged spinach and/or kale
  • 2 quarts of yogurt 
  • 5 pounds of oranges
  • 2 florets of broccoli
  • 2 boxes of granola bars
  • 1 family pack of chicken
  • 2 dozen freshly baked cookies (a must)
  • 3 cans of baked beans (why not?) 
  • 1 bag pretzels (I like salty food.) 
Yes, I threw in the fancy restaurant part just to point out the ridiculous extra amount of money that's being spent unnecessarily on the overpriced meal plans. I'm sure that I would have at least $10 leftover every week from buying must own food instead of depending on the college cafeteria.  If I didn't go to the hypothetical restaurant, I'd probably have more than $70 saved a week. $70 x 35 weeks = $2, 450 saved. Then again, I'm splurging, so if I cut back even more, I wouldn't spend more than $1,000 on food a year. But living a life like that is not enjoyable. 

So, if I can, I'd opt out of these meal plans. I don't need an extra $3,000 a year in debt. I'll go the frugal, debt free route.

No comments:

Post a Comment