Hi, I'm Samurai and I study Karate and love to watch tv and read books.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Allergies

In a dojo, generally speaking, allergies wouldn't be a problem.

But, dojos DO cause allergies. The ones with matting, if not cleaned often, can retain dust and other allergens.

In the ones in my dojo, we have folding mats. These mats have been here for five to ten years. These have not ever been cleaned. So, ten years of sweat and germs. I wonder how many sick people have come in contact with these mats. The matting is not designed to be cleaned. On the mats, there is residue from who knows what. Even gum is stuck on it. Eh.

And, whenever we use the mats, the result is me constantly sneezing and blowing my nose.

The mats have never been aired out or sun dried/ sun washed. I'm surprised that there is no mold or mildew on the mats. 

We need to replace the mats.

I know, each 4 ft by 6 ft mat costs about $100. So, it's a huge expense to replace. But, we absolutely need to replace them.

No comments:

Post a Comment